30 January 2007

No Vista for You

Windows vista upgrade advisor error

Windows Vista upgrade advisor encountered an error while scanning your system.

The helpful program that purports to advise users if their computers are ready for Vista totally failed on my machine. Interestingly it asked to go on the internet not once but 3 times and carried huge advertisements for Vista. It took about 10 minutes to run before it came up with this error. So, basically, a program which is supposed to tell the user if their computer can run Vista takes 10 minutes to scan the computer, wants to send all the information to Microsoft, and then crashes at the end. I have desktop widgets that can check my system specifications in a few milliseconds, and keep updating them as they change... shoddy job designing a front to data mine information from computers Mr MicroSoft.

9 comments:

Isha Reddy said...

you need 1gig hz processing power and 1 gig ram atleast :)

Amrita said...

Ouch!! That's all I can say for Uncle Bill

Ranjit said...

isha yup yup i know... I have 2.8 ghz and 1gig ram so it should run... i think the main problem was that I did not let the program go on the internet so it was unhappy.

amrita yeah but uncle bill doesn't have any problems because dell and gang will sell vista loaded computers... and the mac and linux users will need to run windows at some point.

Rajesh said...

Ranjit - You shouldn't have even bothered to try anything that's got to do with VISTA (and that includes this scan). I'd say wait 2 years till Mr. Microsoft releases patch-I, Patch-II, .... and then SP-I, SP-II

Mosilager said...

oh i'll be staying far far away - hoping that somebody will hack wddm for xp... if xp had that it would be perfect.

Hulles said...

I recommend dumping Bill and going Linux. It's not just for geeks anymore. Well, okay, it is still for geeks, I had to compile a driver for my wireless card recently, but it's less for geeks. Good luck with Vista if you don't!

Mosilager said...

i can't quite yet, i have a citation manager that only works on win. and i have 2 wpa networks that i have to connect to and Kubuntu does not recognise them automagically. so i have to compile drivers and so on... not enough time to mess with it properly. some day, though. (if I ever have to buy windows software i'm switching immediately)

Sreekumar said...

And they claim to have spent 6 billion USD for it too!
Vista isnt made for upgrades it seems but only if u buy a new box.

Mosilager said...

I'm sure it would have worked if I let it go on the internet... but why to send so much info to uncle bill for no good reason?