18 December 2006

Sunita Williams poops in space!

The Indian media coverage of Sunita Williams is getting a little over the top. Every turn she makes on the space shuttle and the ISS is covered in excruciating detail. Now I agree that it's a great moment for humanity that people are up in space doing all sorts of wonderful things. I think the media should focus on that and all of the astronauts instead of just one because her daddy happens to be born in India. I can understand being proud of an Indian in space, but Sunita's achievements owe nothing to the Indian space programme. If her dad had stayed in India she would not have been in space today.

I wish the media would talk about the importance of having a space programme and try to motivate the citizenry to start thinking in a scientific manner. That is the sole difference between first world countries and everyone else - the citizenry in first world countries believes that there are practical solutions to every problem - not "I cannot poop because God wills it" but "I cannot poop... maybe I should invent a laxative." The right to a scientific mindset should be one of the fundamental rights of every human.

I do have to admit that I have a hidden agenda for writing this. The post was partially motivated by my jealousy of all the astronauts... the moment I have the money I'm going to space... and I'm taking Ginga with me. Hey, maybe that will help my marriage prospects.

8 comments:

lova said...

Hey there Mosi,
You know if a Malagasy person would be sent in space, I will be waiving the flag, playing the anthem etc...:D
but it's different circumstances.
"I cannot poop... maybe I should invent a laxative."
If you take Ginga in space, you may wan to keep the laxative away from him :) or it may turn to be a space trip for the ages...

Mosilager said...

:) Lova this is the third one that's why. The first was Wing Commander Rakesh Sharma in the early 80s, he went on a Russian mission. He's a bonafide Indian cosmonaut. The second was Kalpana Chawla, who was born and raised in India but got her day in space by working for NASA and as a US citizen. I think it's ok for the media to take pride in both of those.

The problem is that the Indian media focuses on other countries' and people's achievements and feels good by basking in their glory. The message to young Indians is, "Get out of the country if you want to get anything done." If they had suggested means by which there would be an Indian mission to the Moon or Mars or even just profiled the Indians who work for NASA who probably set up the space trip I would be the first one to congratulate them.

Hopefully they don't put anything sweet in the laxatives, otherwise Ginga will get his grubby paws on them.

Mosilager said...

The Indian media by portraying this as an Indian achievement is also taking away from the hard work of many Americans who have set up the system so it produces such excellence. I want the Indian media to focus on getting Indians interested in setting up such a system, and not making people think that no work is involved in sending somebody into space.

Rajesh Warrier said...

Indian media - A bunch of jokers trying to put up a show with anything they can find. Remember the Prince saga ? And when Musharraf visited india. And when Bobby jindal won the elections - he suddenly became a person of 'Indian Origin'. Sick and tired of it - esp Aajtak, TOI and likes ...

lova said...

Gotcha, I see what the issue is right here. To think that we would kill to have 1/10th of the technology you guys already have...
Back home we have a phrase that ridicule our homemade products: "vita gasy" which means "made in Madagascar" but really means unreliable products....sad, actually

Mosilager said...

economy wise it's going ok but we want the next bill gates to come out of India... that's what my critique was about, the institution that could inform the public is messing up by being driven solely by entertainment.

Paula the Surf Mom said...

A question if I may.... Does India have a space program?

Mosilager said...

Hi Surf Mom...

yes India does have a space programme (ISRO - Indian Space Research Organisation). It has launched Indian satellites into space as well as some European ones so far. The only Indian in space is Cosmonaut Rakesh Sharma who went up on a USSR spaceship sometime in the 80s. There's a manned moon mission planned for 2011 / 2012 or so and an unmanned Mars mission afterwards.