08 October 2006

And the Nobel goes to...

The awardee of this year’s Nobel Prize for literature has never made any money from her writing. She has never signed with a publisher or seen her writing in print. Nobody but she herself knows who she is or where she is or what she does other than dictating her life experiences into her literary efforts. She has a following of millions, however, who regularly read her online journal, also known as a blog. It all started with the first post, appropriately titled, “The first post” 10 years ago. The only person who noticed this post was called “Anonymous” and left a message about how the blog was very interesting and she should click on a link that promised money. Since the very ordinary beginning, extraordinary stories began to flow out. Stories that reminded the readers of their hopes, their dreams, their ambitions, and above all the universality of human needs such as love and companionship. Taxi fliers in Nairobi and CEOs in Shanghai and parking meter robots on the Rakesh Sharma base on the moon could all identify with at least one of the stories. As we explore new frontiers, these writings have reinforced that we carry the same core within all of us. The open comments on each post attest to this. And so, the Nobel Prize for Literature 2049 goes to…

18 comments:

lova said...

I know, I know :) OK you kind of told me and I can't still remember her name.

Mosilager said...

I didn't have anyone in particular in mind. Well maybe the riverbend blog or the gombe chimpanzee blog?

The Visitor said...

Aw, you had me fooled for a moment.. :p

The Visitor said...

Have a look at Mr pregunto's latest question and the comments:
Link

Mosilager said...

well it could happen :) i saw that from your site but didn't get a chance to go through the comments. I still like my religion more

Crizzie Criz! said...

Dude, you will make a good story teller.
Never for a moment till the last sentence did i understand that ot was the con of man.
Bliss, man. you said that really well in there!

Mosilager said...

Thanks Criz, now that's a really heartwarming comment. Now hopefully when the Nobel goes to a blogger they'll credit me as predicting it years before time! And also, I hope my phd committee agrees with you as I'm heavily involved in thesis writing. It's definitely not as much fun as writing blog posts, can't use any imagery in there.

Amrita said...

Excellent read Mos! :-) Had me wondering there till the last line. Good luck with the thesis writing. Be sure to throw in a few riddles like these ...

Anonymous said...

This was a great post :) And I totally agree with criz - you are a fantabulous storyteller :)

Mosilager said...

ok now my head has started swelling and soon it will be as big as Ginga's (well eventually owners are supposed to start looking like their dogs). Thanks so much, especially coming from great writers such as yourselves and an almost professional like sheets. I'm sure the wind will be knocked out of my sails by peeople who read the first drafts of my thesis chapters soon enough :) but thank you ladies, gent, and unknown such as visitor.
But seriously, which blogger do you think will win a nobel some day? I nominate Baghdad Burning.

lova said...

Wow, you really got me fooled ! I thought it actually happended. Great piece Mosi :) ! I was thinking of that lady who got fired....

Mosilager said...

Oh now I understand your first comment ha ha! I thought people would figure it out when I started mentioning flying taxis and moon bases and the year 2049.

Anonymous said...

Ok, I was also getting lost there for a while..

You're funny, MOSI :>

Mosilager said...

thanks Sheetal :) I try...

Anonymous said...

aw gee..thanks. now where's my acceptance speech?
;)

good one :-). atleast you have still retained your sense of humour during the thesis writing trauma. good luck with it!

Mosilager said...

LoL that could be a new blog tag / meme that floats around - the acceptance speech in case the blogger is nominated for the Nobel Prize for literature :) a little self-congratulatory but most people like blowing their own horn.

Thanks! I like to think that I blog for myself but it's very nice when other people find it interesting... the guitar is my solace to find new ideas while writing the thesis. By the time I'm done with the chapters I'll probably be able to play Hotel California backwards :)

The Visitor said...

Hi Ranjit,
How goes your thesis? I guess that you'd by now have finished the work. If I remember correctly, your defence was sometime in the first week of December. All the best for the same.

Mosilager said...

visitor! hope to see more of you... actually unforseen circumstances beyond my control have dictated the defense to be early next year so still a month or so to go. Thanks for coming out of mufti to wish me!