25 April 2006

When ignorance is bliss...

When I was young, very young, I watched a malayalam movie called Piravi. It won the national award and so on, art-type movie. The plot revolves around an old couple and their daily routine. After waking up, brushing teeth, taking a bath, the old man sets out to cross the river in a boat and waits on the other side all day long. Then he returns to his wife. This goes on in excruciating detail for several days. I mean when he takes a bath you hear pots and pans falling in the kitchen and so on. In the end... ok I'll spoil the suspense... in the end we figure out that these folks have been waiting for their son to return from somewhere and he never comes because he's been killed and they don't want to accept it. Well, being young, this was not the most exciting of movies. I much preferred watching Sholay (still do, I guess I have a long way to go before I grow up). However it was a well made movie with great acting and cinematography and all that jazz that movie afficionados get pumped up about. It was a very beautiful concept, but in my opinion at the time, very ill-made as you had to sit through all these pots falling until you got to the end.

Why am I writing about this? Well... as it turns out... I just found out that the movie was based on a true story. The story is about Professor Eachara Warrier whose son goes missing in the Emergency and he fights with the state for 30 years to find out what happened to him. The case led to the sacking of a chief minister of Kerala. Unfortunately the good Professor found out what happened to his son, and it involved torture and death. He then blames himself for not knowing his son better while he had the chance.

If I watch the movie again, knowing the context of it now I can appreciate it more. I think I did an injustice to the movie watching it as a child, so I promise to give it a better look next time. Heroes are in short supply... especially of the average Joe variety so it makes sense not to forget their contributions and to fight against any situation that would lead to the struggles that they faced.

4 comments:

Siddhu said...

And the worst part of the whole thing is - the home minister at that time was that well-loved criminal, Karunakaran. And that *(&*)(&) is still alive, kicking and doing his best to destroy Kerala.

lova said...

Any chance the prof is related to you family ?

Mosilager said...

Dunno... maybe... most Warriers are, by marriage.

Rajesh Warrier said...

Never knew that it was a true story. Though, watching the movie (I dunno how many years ago) feelings were the same as u mentioned.