09 February 2006

Stand Off

Here's Steve Coll talking about the 2002 incident where India almost went to war with Pakistan following a terrorist attack on the Indian parliament. It's a good summary of the U.S. viewpoint. I may be biased, but I get the feeling that he's not quite sure what the role of the U.S.A. was in stopping India from going to war. Also the war option seems to be something that the Indian leadership discussed theoretically, but did not want to go through with. So, I'm not sure if he knows what the role of each of the players was in getting concessions to stop a war that really was not going to happen? Wonder if there's anything in his upcoming book about the rumours that the U.S. Navy had jammed Indian naval communication systems so they had to stop the blockade of Karachi that would have started the war... well I guess that would probably be too classified for anyone to talk about. This is when I wish I knew someone in the know.

Steve Coll : Stand Off

This week in the magazine, Steve Coll examines the moment, in 2002, when India and Pakistan almost went to war—with the potential for the first use of nuclear weapons in a conflict since Nagasaki. Here, with Amy Davidson, he discusses the tensions on the subcontinent, the role of jihadis, and the nuclear black market.


I stumbled on this by accident as my current bathroom reading is Steve Coll's previous book, Ghost Wars: The Secret History of the CIA, Afghanistan, and Bin Laden, from the Soviet Invasion to September 10, 2001. It's really good so far, but I have to go really slow so that I remember most of what I read in it. After I finish that I have 10 books from African authors. My bathroom will love me.

No comments: