11 February 2006

If you don't exist virutually, are you real?

I think this is the question of the future. I have found that most of my friends whom I communicate with can be reached via the internet. E-mail, webpage, messaging, some form of virtual communication. If I lose track of them, I can always find them by doing a web search. The people who have no web presence whatsoever are very difficult to communicate with. Their lives come to me in snippets handed down from friend to friend. With the death of snail-mail as an effective means of communication, a virtual existance is the only guarantee of communication. I fear this will get worse as time goes on and the longer I don't know what the lost are doing, the harder they will be to track down. There is always phone, but people seem to move around so much that without a someone@something.somethingelse(usually shorter) address you can't keep track of the phone number either. When will cell phone companies realise that it's better to stay with the same person and give them the same number even if they are in Papua New Guinea or in Colombia for a reasonable price? What is however disappointing is that despite my presence on the servers that make up the world wide web, none of the friends whom I am not in contact with search for me and come here. Perhaps they are so busy with their lives that they have forgotten about their friends. Perhaps they have decided that since I keep showing up and telling them what I think on here, I am safe and they have no need to be in touch. Are there two communities of people now that are growing apart? In regular touch or not in regular touch?

मुझे लग रहा है कि मेरे जो दोस्त ई-मेल या इन्टरनेट पे नहीं मिलते, उनसे मैं कभी बातें नहीं करूँगा। उनकी ज़िन्दगीयों मे मैं बिलकुल शामिल नहीं हो सकता। उनके कारणामों के बस थोड़ी सी महक आती है, वह भी तीन-चार दोस्तों के पास से। दूरभाष का उपयोग तो कर सकता हूँ, लेकिन लोग आजकल इतना घूमते हैं कि उनका दूरभाष पर मिलना बहुत मुशकिल है। अगर आप गूगल पर नहीं मिलते तो क्या आपकी ज़िन्दगी मेरे से छुपी हुई है? उससे ज़्यादा मुझे तक़लीफ होती है कि मेरे पुराने दोस्त मुझे इन्टरनेट पर नहीं ढूण्डते। मैं तो हूँ दुनिया की कम्प्यूटरों मे, मुझे क्यों नहीं ढूण्डते मेरे दोस्त? शायद उनका कहना है कि अगर इन्टरनेट पर हो तो हमें क्या ज़रूरत लिखने की, आपकी ज़िन्दगी तो हम जानते हैं। इससे ज़्यादा मैं सोच रहा हूँ कि वह लोग इतने जुटे हुए हैं अपनी ज़िन्दगियों मे कि मुझे भूल गए। कभी कभी तो याद आती होगी उन्हे भी, शायद वह यह देख कर यहाँ आयें?


2 comments:

lova said...

I am with you on the importance of being "searchable" in the virtual world. On the "keeping in touch" issue, knowing that they come to check out what you are up to on your blog from time to time is pretty cool. They will drop a line or ring you every now and then. The beauty of the virtual world is right there, total freedom !! In the words of Howard Dean: "YEAAAH" !!!!

Mansoora said...

I think as we grow older, we find more and more things to keep ourselves busy and forget friends....you know it's funny, but I know of a few friends who contact me after years (somehow getting my number) and telling me that they are soo lonely because they have no more friends anymore. saaad :(

I'm all about an international database of people :)